The Gathering at Keystone College, including a publishing workshop with Lynn Yeakel
A Toast to Tenacity: Celebrating the 96th Anniversary of the 19th Amendment
View All Upcoming Events
Institute for Women's
Health and Leadership
College of Medicine
2900 W. Queen Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19129
One of the original six academic health centers to be designated a National Center of Excellence in Women's Health by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Institute for Women's Health and Leadership carries forward the College's historic commitment to women's health and women's leadership in medicine and science.
The Institute celebrated its 20th anniversary in September 2013. The anniversary events were a huge success. You can learn more about the anniversary, or to purchase full-length footage of individual lectures and panels from the event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about IWHL programs by visiting the following:
- Woman One honors annually a woman of outstanding leadership and raises medical scholarships for talented under-represented women at Drexel University College of Medicine. The new first-year scholars are Stephanie Coriolan, Jaclyn Heilman and Jillian Thayer. The Woman One 2015 award recipient is Lynne Honickman.
Woman One was featured in the Summer/Fall 2014 issue of the College of Medicine's Alumni Magazine in an article called Connecting Communities: Woman One (PDF).
- The Marion Spencer Fay Award is presented in honor of Marion Spencer Fay, PhD, dean and president of Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania from 1946 to 1963. The National Board for Women in Medicine established an award in her name in 1963 to recognize her pioneering leadership. The honoree will be announced this summer and the award will be presented on Wednesday, November 18.
- Conversations About Women's Health are fast-paced and interactive expert-led discussions. The panel of doctors — moderated by Lynn Yeakel — answer a wide variety of questions from the audience. These informative and lively programs have resulted in numerous life changing testimonials and have improved the health of women (and the men who love them).
Founded in 1993, the Institute was designated by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services as a vanguard National Center of Excellence in Women's Health in 1996. The Institute continues the medical school's century and a half commitment to pioneering programs for women in medicine and science. Affiliated programs in the College of Medicine are the Center for Women's Health and the Women's Health Education Program. The Institute for Women's Health and Leadership functions as a department within the College of Medicine and its director, Lynn H. Yeakel, who holds the Betty A. Cohen Chair in Women's Health, serves on the Executive Committee of the Faculty. It is the only Institute recognized in the medical school's faculty bylaws.
With the overall theme, "Making a World of Difference," the Institute pursues its mission to "honor the past, enrich the present and shape the future." It celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2013.
The International Center for Executive Leadership in Academics, or ICELA at Drexel®, works to increase the number and impact of women in academic leadership positions through two innovative programs: Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine® (ELAM®) and Executive Leadership in Academic Technology and Engineering (ELATE at Drexel®).
Participants in these one-year, part-time fellowships enhance their capacity for leadership and innovation through training in four essential dimensions of leadership:
- Personal and professional leadership effectiveness to address strategic, operational, and relational challenges.
- Strategic finance and resource management to enhance the missions of academic organizations.
- Organizational dynamics to provide strategies for leading, executing, and managing change initiatives.
- Communities of leadership practice to sustain leadership development beyond the fellowship year.
Legacy Center, Archives and Special Collections
The Legacy Center is the repository for the records and heritage of Drexel University College of Medicine and its predecessor institutions, including Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania (W/MCP) and Hahnemann University.
Doctor or Doctress? Explore American history through the stories of women physicians.
Vision 2020 is a national coalition of organizations and individuals united in their commitment to achieve women's economic and social equality. Vision 2020 does this by advancing an overdue national conversation about the value of women's equality to benefit all and by accelerating shared leadership among women and men to reach a new dimension of American excellence by the year 2020.