Biochemistry is being offered as a summer course at Drexel University College of Medicine and is designed for:
- Undergraduate premedical students who attend small colleges where a biochemistry course is not available
- Undergraduate premedical students who attend area colleges and universities and wish to take a summer course
- Post-undergraduate students in preparation for medical or graduate school
The course will run from June 16 until July 30, 2014 The intensive course will meet Monday through Friday, two hours a day in the morning. It will be taught by the same faculty members who teach first year medical students at Drexel University College of Medicine.
View the undergraduate summer biochemistry course schedule (PDF file).
The course will cover the topics in general biochemistry divided into three parts (fundamentals, metabolism and molecular biology), with an exam on each part.
- DNA, RNA and protein structure
- Enzyme kinetics
- Lipids and carbohydrates
- Citric acid cycle
- Oxidative phosphorylation
- Lipid and amino acid metabolism
- Recombinant DNA
- DNA replication and repair
- Translation and protein processing
- Control of gene expression
This course is also ideally suited for pre-med students. There will be major changes to the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) beginning in 2015. The new MCAT will include a section covering the biochemical foundations of living systems. The summer biochemistry course will cover material included in this new portion of the MCAT, and help you prepare for the test.
Prerequisites for the course are two semesters of general chemistry, one semester of organic chemistry, and a basic biology course.
*Students are expected to prepare for class by reading the assigned materials.
How to Apply
Current Drexel students:
- Enroll in the Biochemistry Summer Course by registering for course #: BIOC 400S
- Visit the application website
- Click "apply online"
- New users create an account; returning users enter your username and pin
- Select "Biochemistry Summer Course" from the drop down window
- Fill out all of the information and submit
- You will be notified via email once your registration is completed
For additional information, contact: Luci Boyer at email@example.com